Monday, February 27, 2012

Gluten Free Earl Grey Chocolate Cake




Winter in Belgium this year has involved a lot of cold days, no snow, only a bit of rain, but generally cold. Well cold for Belgium, my Canadian family would not be impressed by what I am calling cold these days.

It is cold enough to want to come into the house, get under a blanket and curl up with a hot mug of tea, or in my dad's case, coffee.

I love tea, especially Earl Grey. I love chocolate (I'm very lucky to be living in Belgium). I love cake (don't trust anyone who doesn't). So when I saw this recipe come along on one of my new favorite blogs (shutterbean.com). I knew I had to make it.

The combination of chocolate and Earl Grey tea is one that I fell in love with last year while I was in a chocolate shop in Brugge, Belgium. I had never tried a tea paired with chocolate and instantly fell in love.

The unfortunate thing is that after, I couldn't find it anywhere else. Then I had the gestational diabetes, and I wasn't looking for it. I thought it was a distant memory, a taste never to be enjoyed again.

Then last week I was out for Valentine's day lunch with Seyfi, at our favorite salad restaurant, Boule de bleu in Mons, when with my coffee, comes a little piece of Earl Grey chocolate.

The taste was back!

A day or two later, this recipe was out, and I made it instantly. It was delicious. I can now make the flavour combination in my own kitchen.

I've made this recipe twice now, the first time using normal flour. I just wanted to see how it would taste. I was so good, that I ate all of it, (ok, probably 3/4, and it was over three days...) I also wasn't sure if Seyfi would like the idea of tea in a cake. But after he saw me enjoying it, he wanted me to make him some too.

All I did to make this recipe gluten free, was change out the flours. I also made it in little loaf pans. Delicious!

This cake is super moist, I would recommend using the darkest chocolate you can find.

Here is Shutterbean's recipe (and link) with the adjustment for gluten free.

Earl Grey Chocolate Cake (Gluten Free)

6 Earl Grey tea bags or 2 tablespoons loose Earl Grey
1 cup water
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
3 eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
4 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted & cooled
2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt
confectioners' sugar

Heat oven to 350° F.

Coat an 8-cup fluted tube pan (that's a bundt, right?) with cooking spray. (I used little loaf pans)

Brew the tea in the water 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags or strain the leaves and set the brewed tea aside.

Using a mixer, beat the butter, eggs, and granulated sugar until fluffy. Blend in the chocolate. Beat in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, yogurt, and brewed tea. Pour into pan.

Bake 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out with a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.

Turn out of pan and cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar.

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm, yes it *was* delicious. Glad I could help you eat some! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you could help me too! I would have eaten the whole thing otherwise!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great. I like making cake in the small loaf pans and freezing them. This way 1) you don't eat the whole cake 2) you always have something to serve when friends drop by. I will try this on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at Earl Grey. YUM.

    Tab
    my-cliffnotes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little loaf pans are the best! I also use them for freezing cakes as well.

    ReplyDelete