Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Expat Living- My Parents


'What do your parents think about you living abroad?'

Probably the second most common question I get asked, and likely the most difficult. I know my parents are happy that I am happy. I know that they support my decisions, and are happy with the choices I've made.

When I first told my parents I was going to Turkey to work the drove me to the airport, and expected me to be back in a year. Then, when I met Seyfi and things got serious, they came to Turkey to meet him and his family. They came to both of the weddings, and when the girls were born, they came to help me. They come very year to visit, and we go and see them when we get the chance.

I think, they think it is great that I've made a life for myself, that I've made a family, learned a new culture, and new languages. That I've been able to be open minded and accepting of new people and cultures, been adventurous and brave, things I learned from them.

One good thing for them has been all the travel, they've been to Turkey quite a few times, and now they've been to Belgium (which has also meant trips to France) a couple times. I know they love that!

I think that this day in age, it is very difficult to feel far from anyone. Traveling is easier, although not that cheap. I talk to them a few times a week on the phone we text back and forth, there's Facebook and Skype.

But, especially since I've had children, I think it is getting difficult for them. Even though they see the girls at least once a year for a few weeks, it's hard for them, and that I completely understand.

Too be honest, I'm very lucky to have such supportive parents. Of course I miss them all the time, but I know that they will always be there for me, and for that I am forever thankful.




No comments:

Post a Comment