Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Gluten free Pizza


So it is Wednesday again, and that means another recipe from Gluten free girl and the Chef's great book. This week we were asked to make her recipe for pizza.

We have really been missing pizza. There are lovely pizza restaurants all over our neighbourhood, and there is such a lovely convenience to ordering pizza once and a while, but with Seyfi's celiac, we haven't done that in a long time.

Now, as you know I am a newly made 'housewife', so I really don't need the convenience of ordering pizza, but I have not really gotten around to making pizza from scratch. At out local gluten free/health food store they sell a lovely pizza crust, so I have been using those when we are in desperate need of pizza. They are nice, but not exactly what I would like to be eating all the time. Really this 'assignment' couldn't have come at a better time!

I am going to start by saying that we are thick crust people, and this recipe isn't thick crust. However, we loved it. In fact there are a few reasons why we loved it, and I guess we could just roll it out thicker to make it a thicker crust. The rolling out was actually one of the reasons I loved it, too easy!! not at all sticky or 'shrinky'.

The dough is also nice and chewy, has a lovely base flavour that could easily be added to. I liked this because I could use a variety of different toppings, and they all went really well with the crust. I did a plain cheese and salami and cheese, salami and jalapeno peppers on a tomato sauce, and caramelized onion, spinach and pastirma on a white sauce. They were both really yummy.

The recipe did ask for a pizza stone, and I haven't got one, but I do think will be getting one. I found that the bottom did brown up nicely, and if that was what the pizza stone does, not a problem for now, but if it does something to make this delicious pizza any better I'd like to know what that is.

I'm really happy to have found this recipe, easy to make, yummy to eat, and Seyfi couldn't believe that I had made the whole thing myself (I don't know who he thought made it, but never mind.) Thank you Gluten free girl and the Chef for another great Wednesday Recipe!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I am your newest follower. I love finding new blogs and yous is lovely:) I found you on the Fence! You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    Take a peek at my giveaways if you come by. Everything is handmade and gorgeous!

    This pizza looks great BTW. I had to go gluten free when my son was born:)

    ReplyDelete