Friday, July 9, 2010

Friday Favourites- Birds without Wings


As this is my last week in Turkey, I thought I would have my Friday favourite be about one of my favourite books, which happens to be set in Turkey. Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernieres, is truly one of the best books that I have ever read. I recommend it to everyone, and they all seem to love it.

This book is set in a small village, with different groups of people (Turks, Greeks, Armenians, Kurdish, women, men, children, Muslim, Christian, Jewish etc.) at the end of the Ottoman Empire. It tells the story of the last days of the Ottomans and the beginning of the Turkish Republic.

The story is told through a variety of characters' different points of view. It explains to the reader how this time in history was seen through the eyes of the different groups who were experiencing it.

I think that the reason I loved the book was because it was such a clear, honest look into village life in Turkey. It never tried on group better or worse than another, it gave a very balanced account of the times, of people who had once lived together harmoniously, sharing everything, to people who did not feel that way anymore.

This book is a wonderful story about a time in Ottoman history that is often portrayed very harshly. It brings respect and honor to all those involved. I recommend this book to anyone looking to laugh and to cry, to feel and to learn.

Have you read this book? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment