Wednesday, September 22, 2010

World War One Tour



My mom and dad arrived on Sunday. After their very long trip (there were some problems with the train) they wanted to have a down day which was Monday. So yesterday we went on a small tour of some of the WWI sites in the area.

To be very honest, I didn't know what to expect, but we had a lovely day driving around the Belgian countryside. There are lots of cemeteries and monuments to remember the soldiers who died here. We went to both the Canadian site and a British one. Both of these sites were beautifully kept and had wonderful gardens around them.

What I found really interesting to visit were the trenches. In the town of Diksmuide, there are the 'trenches of death' where the Belgian troops fought. These trenches were very long, narrow and deep. I couldn't imagine spending months fighting and living in these trenches. While we were there it was wet, but not cold, how could it have been for these men?

Going to these kinds of places makes you respect the job of a solider, men and women who put aside their own safety to go to fight for justice, safety and peace. I never thought about the job of a solider, until I married one. I definitely have a big respect for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment