Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday Favourites- Parenthood

I thought that I would have one day of the week where I would write about something that is a longstanding or current favourite. These favourites will cover anything from books to movies to television programmes, to whatever I decide on that particular Friday. So let's begin, shall we?

Today I thought I would talk about one of my current favourite television programmes- Parenthood.

A few months ago, my sister sent me an email asking me if I had been watching a new show called Parenthood. I hadn't. I live in Turkey. When a show first comes out anywhere else, we don't get it right away, sometimes it takes a few weeks, sometimes it takes months, sometimes they just to seem to make their way across the big ocean. Luckıly, I am now able to watch it. And my sister, who has brilliant taste in just about everything, was right again, Parenthood is a great show!

Parenthood follows the very different lives of the Braverman family's parents, grown children, and their families. It is a complete ensemble cast, and let me tell you, there are no week links in this cast. I know that sometimes when I watch and ensemble cast, there are some story lines that I just don't want to follow, but not here, each one of the story lines is interesting and I love the way they all cross over one another.

I know what you must be thinking, 'sounds like 'Brothers and Sisters.'' And you're right, it does. Now, I have been watching Brothers and Sisters since it started how many years ago, but I prefer Parenthood. I found the story lines much more realistic, and down to earth.

The story lines in Parenthood deal with all kinds of common, modern day issues, such as- problems since the economic crisis, Asperger's Syndrome, growing up, interracial dating, getting older etc. I love how each of the characters has their own issues, but as a family they come together to help work through them all.

It is also the family that make up this show that I am crazy about. Each of the siblings is so different and interesting in their own way that you wonder how they all could have come from the same parents. The children of these siblings are also all very different, and the way they interact with each other has cousins and siblings shows a lot about the family dynamic.

What else can I say? I love this show and look forward to watching it every week (it is on Tuesday nights) and I look forward to talking about it with my sister too! I also love that since it started later in the year, now that everything is winding down, Parenthood is just getting better!



Let me know what you think about Parenthood! I'd love to know if anyone else out there is watching it, or if it is just me and my sister...

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! It is a great show and you are right, I do have great taste! HAHA!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete