Saturday, May 22, 2010

My Dad is Proud of Me



My life has some great men in it, my husband, my dad, my brother, my grandfather. Here's a picture of my dad with Alara. He likes counting how many pictures of him are on the internet.

My dad is very proud of me. I got my drivers license this year. I know, everybody has a driver's license, but I didn't, and I am thirty one years old.

Now, I know for any of you living in Canada or the States, it still might not seem like a big deal, but I didn't get my driver's license in those countries. I did mine here, in Turkey, and I did the whole thing in Turkish.

I've been in Turkey for eight years, and this was the first time that I finally felt completely comfortable and confident in my Turkish abilities. I went through the whole process the pre-course eye exam, the course, the written exam (made up of three parts, road rules, motor, and first aid), and the drivers exam and past on my first try.

I know that my dad (and to be honest husband and family) are very proud of me for doing all of this, but the reason my dad is so proud of me is because of the motor part of the exam. I did really well here, and I was able to talk about something that he knows lots about. Apparently he tells people a funny story about me calling the battery an 'accumulator'. You see, this was a new vocabulary area for me in both English and Turkish, and having never learned the words in English, I only really know the Turkish words- and apparently accumulator is a Turkish word.

My dad told me today that he is still telling this story, in fact he told it to some guy yesterday. Random people are learning Turkish! They know what an accumulator is!

I'm so happy to have done this exam, and to have been successful, it wouldn't have happened though if it hadn't been for the support of my husband (he's the one who taught me what an accumulator was in the first place, and more importantly how it works), my dad (all those long phone calls talking about what I had learned at driving school), and the rest of my family. Thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment