Friday, August 6, 2010

The Road Trip- A Recap


I'm just going to start by apologizing- my camera was packed in the back of the car for most of the trip, so there are basically no pictures from our trip, not that we had much time to take pictures.

Let me start by saying that the trip was FABULOUS!!! I truly loved every minute of it!

The scenery was amazing, between Turkey and Belgium there are so many different things, flat dry areas, forests, little villages, mountains, lakes, seas, cities, flat fields it was all amazing.

Also, the ferry completely surpassed my expectations. Our rooms were the perfect size. We were sure that the food on board would be expensive, but it wasn't. There was a children's' room for Alara to play in. It was truly a wonderful part of the trip.



From the drive, I know that I really would love to go back and see Switzerland a bit closer up, and preferable, not at night.

The one place though that sticks out in my mind as a place I would love to return was Lake Como, Italy. It is such a beautiful place, you are driving along through the mountains, you pass through a tunnel, and wow, there it is. A lake in between the mountains. A true beauty.

Having said that, there are a few things that I would change for the next time.

One, I will add at least one more day to the trip. I felt like we just didn't have time to get out of the car to relax and enjoy anything, we had planned to spend an afternoon in Milan, but because the ferry arrived three hours late, it was impossible to do that.

This wasn't a huge problem though (at it is the second thing I would change), I will not be travelling through Italy on a Sunday again. We really wanted to be able to eat something and shop in a market in Italy because we had heard (through Gluten free girl) that Italy was great for a gluten free person, and had lots of products available.

Unfortunately we didn't get to see any of these, or even eat in a restaurant there. The only things open in Italy were stops on the highway, that didn't exactly have much on offer. It's okay though, we had some great coffee and chips as we passed through.

I really loved the trip, it was a great experience for us as a family, and I know that we all had a wonderful time.

No comments:

Post a Comment