Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Summer Fest 2010- Plum Clafouti



I was really excited to see that this weeks Gluten free girl and the Chef's Summer Fest 2010 topic was stone fruit. Why you may ask? As many of you may know, I have just moved into a new house in Belgium, and in the backyard there are two plum trees.

These plum trees are wonderful, they've got loads of fruit on them, and it stopped raining long enough yesterday for Alara and I to pick a big bowlful of the fruit.

This is the first time that Alara has lived in a house with a yard (we've always been in an apartment), and she loves it. She really loves the fruit trees, and her and Seyfi have been eating the plums for the past three weeks, even though they are only ready now... (they like sour fruit).

On the other hand, I am not the biggest plum fan, I like the flesh but I'm not a fan of the sourness of the skin. I don't tend to eat a lot of plums during the summer. Since, I wasn't really sure what I should make with my first load of plums, I hit the net, and looked at all kinds of different plum recipes. I found two things that I thought I would make from my plums.

One of the recipes with be plum sauce. I have looked for it a little bit here, but I haven't been able to find it, I can find egg rolls though, so I feel that some plum sauce with be a must. I'll be making plum sauce sometime next week (Had anyone got a good recipe?)

The second thing is this recipe for Plum Clafouti. Plum Clafouti is a French recipe, and since I am here on France's doorstep, I thought it would be the best one to start with.

Now, the thing is there are lots of slightly different ways to make Plum Clafouti, so I took a few recipes, changed it to what I had available at home, and made it gluten free. It turned out very nice and light. We all enjoyed it. I hope that you do too!

Just a warning, because it was a bit of a shock for us, Clafouti is not a cake, it is much more like a flan that has been baked. It is quite rich and sweet, and can actually be made with any other stone fruit- particularity cherries (actually clafouti is generally made with cherries).


Lori's Gluten free Plum Clafouti

14 plums, cut in half and stones removed, sprinkled with sugar

1 cup milk
3 eggs
1/2 cup all purpose gluten free flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 Tbsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt

some sugar and cinnamon for dusting.

Heat your oven to 180C.

Butter a baking dish and make a layer with the plums. The plums should be facing cut side down.

Mix together all the ingredients until a smooth batter. Pour over the plums.

Put in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, until golden.

Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment