Friday, June 18, 2010

Friday Favourites- Joni Mitchell's Blue Album


I'm not really 'cool' when it comes to music. I don't really follow what's new, and if I happen to know about 'cool' music it is to make my students think that I am cool. However, I do know what I like, and I love Joni Mitchell, especially the album Blue.

Blue is Joni Mitchell's forth album, released in 1971, and said to be a "turning points and pinnacles in 20th-century popular music", by the New York Times. It is also the highest ranking album of a female artist on Rolling Stone Magazines 500 greatest albums of all time.

It is a beautiful group of songs, beautifully written, beautifully sung and artfully simple. I love how open and raw Joni Mitchell sings and writes about what has happened in her life.

These songs are about the daughter she gave up, some of her loves (including another favourite, Leonard Cohen), her travels in Europe, her homes, Canada and California, the fates of loves and the losses in ones life.

Blue is my chill out music, it's my I miss Canada music, it's my I just want to listen to something beautiful music.

No comments:

Post a Comment