Monday, June 21, 2010

Gluten Free Pie Crust


On Saturday night I went to our first 'Going Away' party. It was a pot luck affair, and even though I was not expected to bring anything, I thought that I would make something gluten free for Seyfi, just in case there was nothing there that Seyfi could eat.

I decided that I would do two different 'rustic' tarts, one savory and one sweet. The savory was a carmalized onion and cheese tart, and the sweet was an apple and hazelnut tart. The both turned out quite good, but it was the pastry that was very good.

I decided to be brave and attempt my first every pie crust. I'm going to be completely honest, I make a great, flaky pie crust. So, using that recipe, and what I know about gluten free baking, I was able to make a very good pie crust. My friend Julie said it tasted good and was like a shortbread crust. I was surprised by how many people didn't notice that it was gluten free.

Here is the recipe:

Gluten Free Pie Crust

2 cups all purpose gluten free flour (with xanthum gum)
1 pinch of salt
1 tsp sugar
7 TBsp butter

Mix these all together in your food processor until it looks like crumbs.

1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
2 TBsp very cold water

Add to the flour/butter mixture and pulse until it becomes a ball.

Wrap in plastic and leave in the fridge for at least one hour.

Roll out and use as you'd like.

I love making pies and tarts, and am really happy with how this recipe turned out. It is best if everything you use is very cold, and you roll it out between two parchment papers. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment